October 26, 2013

Creepy Elevator

I’ve had a hard time coming up with true haunted experience that I haven’t already written about, so I decided to switch the focus to “creepy” occurrences. This one was super recent.

I was in San Francisco recently for a mini-getaway. I stayed at a friend’s apartment in Nob Hill, one of those super cool historic buildings complete with an ancient chain door elevator and stairs that creak with every step you take. The elevator is super finicky, if the gate isn't closed perfectly, it doesn't work.

After walking from the Ferry Building to Fisherman’s Wharf, then the Embarcadero to her apt at the top of an insanely steep hill I was not about to haul up three flights of stairs to her apt, so I opted for the elevator.  The elevator took forever to reach me, making strange creaking noises on the way down to get me.  I hesitantly got in, glancing back at the worn stair case as I stepped forward deciding that I’d take my chances on this ancient metal contraption. I slammed the chain-link gate closed behind me and hit “4”. The elevator slowly but surely began to move, slamming to a stop a few minutes later indicating that we had reached the fourth floor. I stepped off, closed the gate and retreated to my friend’s apartment. It was my last day of vacation and almost time to leave, so I packed up my suitcase and bid my goodbyes to the wonderful city by the bay.

With my suitcase in hand I returned to the elevator to find that it was still on the fourth floor waiting for me. I got on, closed the gate properly and hit “1”. The elevator tried to move; it lurched slightly, and then went still. I checked the super finicky gate; it was definitely closed correctly so I tried again. This time when the elevator tried to move it was accompanied by what sounded like a muffled moan coming from an upper floor and the elevator once again did not budge. I got off, checked the door and decided to give it one more shot; I really didn't want to carry my suitcase down 4 flights of stairs. Again I hit “1”. This time there was zero movement but there was certainly a moan and it was far from muffled. It was practically a scream.
At this point I’m slightly shaken up, I mean, the elevator just screamed at me and it sounded entirely too lifelike. Deciding that someone could be hurt I hesitantly yelled, “Hello”? No answer. I asked if there was anyone in the elevator shaft (stupid, I know) and again no answer. Deciding that this was way too weird for me, I took my suitcase and prepared for carrying it down to the ground floor. As I turned my back to the elevator and began my decent, I swear I heard a crackling laugh coming from the elevator.


When I reached the ground floor and began to roll my suitcase to the front door I heard what sounded like crash in the elevator shaft. I cautiously opened the door to find that the elevator had made it to the ground floor too, only a few minutes too late. Annoyed I took my suitcase and went towards the front door, again I heard a crackling laugh but this time I did not stop.