March 02, 2011

Apparently Red and White Clash

I know little to nothing about wine. I confirmed this earlier tonight a lovely little wine bar with a couple of friends. The owner/waiter asked me what type of wine I prefer, I answered white. He smiled and asked me crisp or flavorful? I thought this over for a minute and decided that flavorful sounded a little bit more appetizing, so I went with that option. The wine he brought me was tasty, but to be honest, I could barely tell the difference between the ten dollar glass I was served and the two dollar bottles of two buck chuck that I buy at Trader Joe's. This got me thinking, is my lack of wine knowledge stem from where I grew up?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/slack12/360027989/


Don't get me wrong, I have friends on the east coast who love wine and know what seems like everything there is to know about the fruity alcoholic beverage. I for one am not one of those people. On the east coast I learned about art, music, snow and how to mix a strong cocktail. My friends here on the west coast can tell the difference between wine from Northern California and wine made in Central Valley. This makes me wonder, is my lack of wine knowledge due to the fact that I grew up on the east coast? Any thoughts?