March 02, 2011

Clashing Equality

This might be a somewhat controversial post, and to be honest, I'm not sure how I could possibly provide visual examples.  This is a topic that has been on my mind recently and I feel compelled to write about it: civil union-ship, also known as Same Sex Marriage.

Yesterday, I was talking to a particularly close minded individual who asked me if was difficult growing up on such a conservative coast. I asked him to elaborate on what he meant and he said, "You know, all the conservative jerks, you can't smoke pot there you know." I'm guessing that he was referring to the fact that Marijuana is practically legal in California. I mean any "sick" person and go out and get a card allowing them to legally purchase weed. In other aspects, the east coast is massively more liberal than the west. For one big thing, marriage is legal for all in both New York and my home state, Connecticut. I know that this is a sore point among many in San Francisco due to the recent failed passing of Prop. 8, but the fact of the matter is, same sex marriage is legal in many of the states on the east coast. I would argue that this bill alone makes the east coast somewhat more liberal than the west coast.
http://suttonhoo.blogspot.com/2008/12/his-husband.html
VS:


http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:California_marijuana_template.jpg
Yes, I might get a ticket or worse, arrested, for having weed in my possession on the east coast, but I would take that any day over oppressing anyone's right to marry whomever they love. East coast wins this one.